2019 Raina Grechetto IGT Organic & Biodynamic

Write a review
$44.00
  • Info
  • Tasting Notes
  • Producer

Year 2019

Denomination Grechetto IGT

Producer Raina

Region Friuli Venezia Giulia, Italy

Variety 100% Grechetto

Alcohol 13%

Size 750ml

Serving temperature 8-10°C

Type White - Skin contact

Pairing Fatty Meat, Antipasti

Color Full golden yellow

Aroma Expressive and territorial, with notes of fresh fruit, aromatic and slightly balsamic herbs

Taste Rich, dynamic, juicy, taut and very fresh, with very light tannins on the finish

 

Vinification Maceration on the skins for 6 hours in steel, soft pressing, spontaneous fermentation with indigenous yeasts and malolactic fermentation. Without filtrations

Refinement 6 months on the lees in steel

Production philosophy Artisanal, Macerated on the skins, Indigenous yeasts, Independent Winegrowers

Raina is a small winery located in Montefalco, which was born from Francesco Mariano's desire to get involved. Francesco, who in addition to being a winemaker is also a cook, decided to embark on the wine route in 2002, taking over the winery owned by the “Raina”, a farmer who for decades had dedicated himself to vines in these areas. Between 2002 and 2008 we proceeded with the planting of the vineyards, thus trying to lay the foundations for quality production.

 

Right from the start, Francesco wanted to enhance the environment that hosts him, protecting it, and thus embracing a production philosophy that does not hinder the renewal of natural resources. A philosophy that leads to precise choices in the vineyard, and which in the cellar involves the use of photovoltaic systems for 70% of the total energy requirement, while the remaining 30% is supplied by nearby hydroelectric plants. A young man with more than clear ideas, who has well in mind where to go in the future, with a production of wines that beautifully interpret the classic varieties of the Montefalco terroir.

 

Raina enjoys about ten hectares of vineyards, scattered around the town of Montefalco, one of the most voted wine-growing areas in all of Umbria. In the vineyard, biodynamic agriculture has been practiced since 2012, certified by the control body Codex, included in a project entirely devoted to maintaining the richness of the soils. No chemical fertilizers, herbicides or pesticides are used, and sulfur, copper, infusions and decoctions of plants are used for the treatments. Each stage of processing, from pruning to harvest, is done manually.

 

No chemical products are used in the cellar except for a moderate use of sulphites, and, at the end of the winemaking and aging process, the red wines are never filtered, while the vintage whites may be subject to a slight roughing. .

 

Raina presents every year a range of interesting bottles, in which the territory, with its typical varieties, clearly emerges. In addition to Trebbiano and Grechetto, it is also advisable to dedicate oneself to the reds that made the Montefalco terroir great, first of all Sagrantino, presented by Francesco with the "Campo di Raina" label.