2018 La Spinetta Ca Pian Barbera DOC

Write a review
| Ask a question
  • Info
  • Tasting Notes
  • Producer

Year 2014

Denomination Barbera d’Asti DOCG

Producer La Spinetta
Region Italy, Piedmont

Variety 100% Barbera
Alcohol 14%

Size 750 ml

Serving temperature 16/18°C

Type Red

Pairing Veal stew, Cardoon with fondue, Stewed red meat, Pasta with meat sauce, Salami Board, Roasted and grilled meat

Colour Ruby red tending to garnet

Aroma Hints of blueberry, violet, undergrowth, coffee and hints of eucalyptus

Taste Fresh, full, decisive and smooth


Vinification Alcoholic fermentation for 7-8 days in roto fermenters and malolactic fermentation in barrique

Refinement 12 months in second passage French oak barrels

A leading winery in the Langhe and Asti area, La Spinetta was founded in 1977 thanks to the spirit of initiative of Giuseppe and Lidia Rivetti. The history of the winery, however, began much earlier, in 1890, when Giovanni Rivetti left Piedmont to emigrate to Argentina. Like many Italians of that time, his dream was to find luck and later return to his homeland to become a great wine producer. His son Giuseppe made his dream come true. After purchasing the first vineyards, he began to produce Moscato d'Asti, a simple and light wine to be enjoyed with desserts. Not only that, in the following years, the Rivetti family began a successful production of red wines, Barbera and Barbaresco in particular, which ended in 2000 with the birth of one of the most prestigious Barolos in circulation, the Campè. All the wines of La Spinetta are the result of a long and careful work on the indigenous varieties of the territory, a journey that begins in the vineyard and that only marginally continues in the cellar. The belief is in fact that to obtain great results 90% of the work must be oriented to the countryside and only the remaining 10% to the work of vinification and aging. This is how wines that are as modern as they are vibrant, always pleasant and balanced, are born.