2019 Raina Rosso della Gobba IGT Organic Bio Natural

Write a review
| Ask a question

We have run out of stock for this item.

  • Info
  • Tasting Notes
  • Producer

Year 2019

Denomination Rosso della Gobba IGT

Producer Raina

Region Italy, Umbria

Variety Sangiovese 70%, Montepulciano 15%, Sagrantino 15%

Alcohol 13%

Size 750ml

Serving temperature 18/20°C, open 15-30 minutes before serving

Type Red - Biodynamic, Organic, Natural

Pairing Stewed red meat, Meat sauce pasta, Cold cuts and salami, Roasted and grilled meat, Aged cheeses

Color Ruby red with violet reflections

Perfume Red fruits, black cherry and sweet spices

Taste With good structure and well balanced for freshness and tannic persistence

Vinification Fermentation and maceration on the skins with its own yeasts for 10 days in steel. No clarification or filtration

Refinement 18 months in stainless steel and 6 months in bottle

Production philosophy Artisanal, Indigenous yeasts, Independent Winegrowers

Francesco Mariano decided to embark on the wine route in 2002, taking over the winery owned by the "Raina", a farmer who had dedicated himself to vines in these areas for decades.
Between 2002 and 2008, Francesco and his team planted the vineyards, thus trying to lay the foundations for quality production.
Francesco is not only a winemaker, but he's also a chef too, and that's where he got the passion for natural and organic ingredients. A young man with clear ideas, who has well in mind the direction for the future, with a production of wines that beautifully interpret the classic varieties of the Montefalco terroir.

From the start, Francesco wanted to enhance the environment that hosts him, protecting it, thus embracing a production philosophy that does not hinder the renewal of natural resources.

A philosophy that leads to clear choices in the vineyard, the cellar involves the use of photovoltaic systems for 70% of the total energy requirement, while nearby hydroelectric plants supply the remaining 30%.

Raina enjoys about ten hectares of vineyards, scattered around the town of Montefalco, one of the most voted wine-growing areas in all of Umbria. In the vineyard, biodynamic agriculture has been practised since 2012, certified by the control body Codex, included in a project entirely devoted to maintaining the richness of the soils. No chemical fertilisers, herbicides or pesticides are used, and sulphur, copper, infusions and decoctions of plants are used for the treatments. Each stage of processing, from pruning to harvest, is done manually.

No chemical products are used in the cellar except for moderate use of sulphites, and, at the end of the winemaking and aging process, the red wines are never filtered, while the vintage whites may be subject to a slight roughing.

Raina presents a range of exciting bottles in which the territory clearly emerges with its typical varieties. In addition to Trebbiano and Grechetto, it is also advisable to dedicate oneself to the reds that made the Montefalco terroir great, first of all the Sagrantino.